Published on: Jan 02 2019
Driven by a life-long desire to help others, Richard Hunter became known as one of the world’s foremost color scientists. A key accomplishment of his R & D career was the Theory of Opponent Colors, more widely known as Hunter Lab; today a cornerstone color scale throughout the entire color measurement industry. Now, we embrace his mission of helping others and provide world-class customer support and product innovation.
HunterLab color measurement solutions are employed in a wide variety of industries including building materials, chemical, food, paint, paper, pharmaceutical, plastic, textile, and others. Our Associates enjoy an innovative, supportive and friendly work environment, great benefits including an Employee Stock Ownership Program, and a real opportunity to make a difference in science, technology, engineering, and math fields (STEM). Join our talented team of professionals and leaders. More than a job; it’s an adventure in science with a global reach.
Electrical Engineer I, Reston, VA - Full-Time (FT)
As a member of the Engineering Team, this entry level position performs basic electrical research, design, development, and testing of electrical products or systems. This position participates in a support role in the development cycle, documenting requirements, then assists with the design synthesis and system validation while considering the operations, performance, test, manufacturing, cost, and schedule. The Electrical Engineer I works under supervision of engineering team leadership to complete assigned tasks. The position applies knowledge of Electrical Engineering (EE) and broad practical application of engineering science and technology.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (EE) with 2+ years of experience in electrical engineering, computer science, physics, or other related discipline, or a Master’s degree in Physics or Engineering with 1+ years of experience or PhD in Physics or Engineering with minimum 1 year of experience in electrical engineering, or combination of education and experience. Experience using a software electronic simulation platform is preferred. Experience in electro-optical design with analog and digital electronics, including light emission and detection, is preferred. Experience using the Altium design suite for PCBA design is strongly preferred. Experience designing with FPGAs, CPLDs, and programming in HDL is strongly preferred.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist in the research, design, development, and testing of electrical (digital and analog) products or systems; Conduct portions of prototype development activities; Ensure compliance to specifications; Promote effective production processes; Ensure optimal performance and cost efficiency of designs.
- Prepares portions of electrical designs and related project documents including schematics and/or other physical layouts of integrated electromechanical systems and components, including cabling and wire harnesses; Create electrical designs consistent with company process and functional constraints.
- Assist with testing and validation to ensure electrical designs meet operational and functional requirements; Support instrument performance verification test plans; Conduct analyses addressing issues such as failure, reliability, capacity, capability or instrument improvement.
- Update formal electrical engineering documents such as Bills of Material (BOMs), Hardware Design Documents, cable and wire harness drawings, electrical interconnects, Engineering Change Notifications / Engineering Deviation Notices (ECN / EDN), revision control, release documentation, and design document packages; Support Document Design Reviews and maintain Engineering Lab notebook.
- Collaborate with Senior Electrical Engineer and other staff on identifying and recommending product enhancements and improvements; Assist with product issues reported by internal stakeholders, evaluate problems, and recommend solutions in conjunction with other project engineers.
- Provide broad-based technical and specialized solutions to electrical engineering challenges; Support Manufacturing Engineering to ensure that products will be highly manufacturable and serviceable at the factory, service centers, and in the field.
- Work on smaller projects or portions of larger new projects including electrically related design and project planning; Communicate operating characteristics or performance experience to other engineers or designers for training or new product development purposes.
- Support prototype material procurement processes, including quoting and receipt inspection of materials.
- Support design efforts to ensure that Industry Standards and Certifications, including CE and UL, are achieved.
- Follow HunterLab’s Quality Management System including ISO 9001, and regulatory/legal requirements.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Participate and share knowledge during Department meetings.
- Maintain appropriate Electrical Lab environment for incoming electrical testing.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note the selected candidate will be required to submit to a company background check.
Interested to know more? For more information about HunterLab visit https://www.hunterlab.com.
What makes HunterLab a great place to work?
At HunterLab, you will become an integral and respected part of the team. Our employees are known as “Associates” because we are all stakeholders in HunterLab’s continued success. HunterLab is 100% employee owned! This is clearly conveyed through our excellent benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, flexible spending account, EAP, vacation leave, sick leave, paid holidays, 401(k) including company match, education/tuition assistance, life insurance, disability insurance, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) and company profit sharing. Our Associates are offered long-term growth and opportunity and are proud to be on our team. With over 60 years of experience in our industry, you will become part of an outstanding group of experts in our industry. We’re also in walking distance to the Metro Silver Line!
HUNTERLAB IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law. HunterLab participates in E-Verify.
Back To Career Listing