Published on: Jan 02 2019
Driven by a life-long desire to help others, Richard Hunter became known as one of the world’s foremost color scientists. A key accomplishment of his R & D career was the Theory of Opponent Colors, more widely known as Hunter Lab; today a cornerstone color scale throughout the entire color measurement industry. Now, we embrace his mission of helping others and provide world-class customer support and product innovation.
HunterLab color measurement solutions are employed in a wide variety of industries including building materials, chemical, food, paint, paper, pharmaceutical, plastic, textile, and others. Our Associates enjoy an innovative, supportive and friendly work environment, great benefits including an Employee Stock Ownership Program, and a real opportunity to make a difference in science, technology, engineering, and math fields (STEM). Join our talented team of professionals and leaders. More than a job; it’s an adventure in science with a global reach.
Senior Mechanical Engineer, Reston, VA - Full-Time (FT)
As a member of the Engineering Team, this senior level position performs advanced mechanical research, design, development, and testing of products or systems. This position envisions how the project will be completed, identifies critical aspects, defines the system architecture, and required functionality. The Senior Mechanical Engineer plays a lead role early in the development cycle, documenting requirements, then proceeding with design synthesis and validation while considering the operations, performance, test, manufacturing, cost, and schedule. The position applies advanced knowledge of Mechanical Engineering and expert application of engineering science, conventional and unconventional manufacturing methods including additive manufacturing and related 3D fabrication techniques. Serves as a mentor to Mechanical Engineer I.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with 6+ years of experience in mechanical engineering, physics, optics or other related discipline, or a Master’s degree in Physics or Mechanical Engineering with 3+ years of experience or PhD in Physics or Mechanical Engineering with 1 years of experience in mechanical engineering. Expert knowledge of CAD/CAM software systems and drafting procedures required. Proficiency with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) required. Expert at using SolidWorks or equivalent 3D CAD software to design milled, turned, and sheet metal Parts; Expert in designing for additive and rapid prototyping; Expert at Assembly modeling in a parametric 3D environment; Certified Professional Engineer (PE) or Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) preferred.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead role in the design, development, and testing of mechanical products or systems; Oversee prototype mechanical development activities for new product designs; Ensure compliance to specifications and promote effective production processes, ensure optimal performance and cost efficiency including manufacturability and serviceability.
- Create mechanical designs, dimensional drawings, assembly drawings, and/or other physical layouts of integrated mechanical components consistent with company process and functional constraints; Use of computer-aided design (CAD) tools and solid modeling techniques (e.g. SolidWorks, Wildfire/Creo, Unigraphics) to capture conceptual mechanical designs; Maintain product design and revision data in Product Data Management (PDM) system environment.
- Define and execute Design for Manufacturability (DFM) methods and product functional test plans; Conduct analyses addressing issues such as failure modes, product reliability, measurement repeatability, and instrument performance and manufacturability improvement; Perform Finite Element Analyses (Structural and Thermal).
- Troubleshoot and solve problems in mechanical systems and designs; refine final mechanical designs to include appropriate Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), per ASME Y14.5 standards; Modify relevant components as necessary.
- Create or maintain formal mechanical engineering documents such as Bills of Material (BOMs), Engineering Change Notifications (ECNs), revision control, release documentation and design document packages.
- Provide engineering support for existing products, respond to outside vendor questions, collaborate with Senior Software Engineer/Senior Optical Engineer and recommend product improvements. Investigate product issues voiced by MFG Engineering, evaluate problems, and recommend solutions in conjunction with other senior engineers.
- Evaluate materials and perform vendor data review of equipment and components; Quote and procure parts for prototypes.
- Assemble, test, and evaluate prototype products and related assemblies; Document results of assembly/build processes and communicate results with project participants.
- Manage and perform prototype material procurement processes, including quoting, ordering, and receipt inspection of materials.
- Drive the HunterLab Quality Management System to conform to customer, internal, ISO 9001, and regulatory/legal requirements.
- Communicate operating characteristics or performance experience to other engineers or designers for training or new product development purposes.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Serve as mechanical engineering liaison to other HunterLab departments and the engineering team.
- Participate and share knowledge during Department meetings.
- Provide effective training to Mechanical Engineer I, new and/or department Associates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note the selected candidate will be required to submit to company background check.
Interested to know more? For more information about HunterLab visit https://www.hunterlab.com.
What makes HunterLab a great place to work?
At HunterLab, you will become an integral and respected part of the team. Our employees are known as “Associates” because we are all stakeholders in HunterLab’s continued success. HunterLab is 100% employee owned! This is clearly conveyed through our excellent benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, flexible spending account, EAP, vacation leave, sick leave, paid holidays, 401(k) including company match, education/tuition assistance, life insurance, disability insurance, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) and company profit sharing. Our Associates are offered long-term growth and opportunity and are proud to be on our team. With over 60 years of experience in our industry, you will become part of an outstanding group of experts in our industry. We’re also in walking distance to the Metro Silver Line!
HUNTERLAB IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law. HunterLab participates in E-Verify.
Back To Career Listing