Published on: Jan 15 2014
HunterLab, a leader in the field of color measurement develops instruments that enable customers to accurately identify, measure and control of the way objects look, and are used in a wide variety of industries including building material, chemical, food, paint, paper, pharmaceutical, plastic, textile and many others.
Manufacturing Engineer ? Reston, VA
Right now we have a need for a Manufacturing Engineer who will serve as a key interface between the Engineering and Manufacturing departments. You?ll apply Cost Engineering and Design for Manufacturability (DFM) principles to provide the engineering team with manufacturing related design support for new and existing HunterLab products. You?ll also focus on systems and support for manufacturing planning, work load, scheduling, work flow improvement, materials requirements, shop floor control, data acquisition and analysis, and training, on the manufacturing side.
Essential responsibilities of this position include:
- Provide design support throughout the engineering and new product development processes to ensure that products can be easily manufactured in-house or out-of-house at minimum cost.
- Consult with the engineering team to ensure that new products will be highly serviceable both at the factory, service centers, and in the field. Ensure that products are maintainable over their expected lifetime.
- Work directly with on-site machine shops, vendors, fabricators, finishers, and other suppliers to obtain cost data and manufacturability feedback during the design process and factor that information back into the design process.
- Define, develop, document, deploy and maintain required test fixtures, procedures and processes, computer hardware and software tools and systems, and data acquisition systems in support of the procurement, assembly, testing, and quality assurance of mechanical, electrical, and optical components and assemblies as well as completed products.
- Develop and maintain standard documentation procedures for electronics design.
- Manage and maintain the Engineering Change Notice (ECN) system and ensure the timely and complete processing and distribution of information.
- Work with Manufacturing on the ongoing maintenance and improvement of line layouts and work stations.
- Assist in the development of new line layouts and work stations for new products to ensure efficient manufacturing flow.
- Perform capacity and capability analyses of manufacturing processes.
- Investigate and recommend new methods and techniques to improve the manufacturing efficiency, quality and on-time-delivery of shipments to customers.
- Assist manufacturing with the identification of training requirements and participate in the training as required. Assist in addressing recurring quality issues, identify and remove obstacles to achieving quality.
- Identify the test equipment, fixtures and new tool requirements for manufacturing. Forecast the capital requirements, prepare and evaluate cost justifications, and lead the activities to implement new equipment into manufacturing.
- Implement and maintain shop floor control and manufacturing planning using the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
Key qualifications we are seeking include:
- BS degree in a technical field, e.g. Manufacturing / Industrial Engineering or a related engineering discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of related hands on experience in a manufacturing / industrial engineering role or equivalent design engineering experience with a direct manufacturing support role.
- Thorough understanding of mechanical and electrical design and modern manufacturing methods.
- Experience using 3-D CAD modeling and drafting software platforms, SolidWorks is preferred.
- Exposure to and basic knowledge of electronics PCB design tools, Altium is preferred.
- Experience using electronic test equipment in a lab and manufacturing environment, specifically analog and digital oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and multi-meters.
- Basic knowledge and experience using data acquisition and analysis systems and platforms, specifically LabVIEW.
- Exposure and basic knowledge of modeling, simulation, and analysis tools such as Matlab, MathCAD, or Mathematica.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to collect and manipulate data in current database systems and spreadsheets. A high level of experience and demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access and SQL Server is preferred.
- Have a solid understanding of modern ERP/MRP and MES systems.
- Excellent and demonstrable oral and written communication skills. A high level of proficiency using the Microsoft Office suite and experience in researching technical information on the Internet.
Experience and solid working knowledge of Configuration Management (CM) and Change Control practices under a current Quality Management
HunterLab offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits program that includes health, dental, disability insurance, retirement savings plan, profit sharing and much more.
For consideration, please submit your resume including a cover letter and your salary requirements to HR@hunterlab.comBack To Career Listing