Summary of job:
As a member of the Engineering Team, this senior level position performs advanced electrical research, design, development, and testing of electrical products or systems. This position envisions how the specific design or project will be completed, identifies critical requirements and performance aspects, defines the system architecture, and identifies required functionality. The Senior Electrical Engineer plays a lead role early in the development cycle, documenting requirements, then proceeding with design synthesis and electrical validation while considering the operations, performance, test, manufacturing, cost, and schedule. The position applies advanced knowledge of Electrical Engineering and digital and analog Electronics Engineering. Serves as a mentor to Electrical Engineer I and liaison to the Manufacturing Department.
In this position, you will:
- Research, design, development, and testing of electrical (digital and analog) products or systems; Conduct or oversee prototype development activities to ensure compliance to specifications; Promote effective production processes; Ensure optimal performance and cost efficiency of designs.
- Create electrical schematics, design Printed Circuit Board Assemblies (PCBAs) and/or other physical layouts of integrated electrical systems and components, including cabling and wire harnesses; Select appropriate components and PCBA footprints; Create electrical designs consistent with company process and functional constraints.
- Define and execute instrument performance verification test plans; Conduct analyses addressing issues such as failure, reliability, capacity, capability or instrument improvement; Develop mathematical models of electrical designs and overall color measurement instrumentation to drive the design process and validate performance.
- Troubleshoot, solve and refine prototype and final electrical system designs to optimize for target performance, physical dimensions and tolerances, or manufacturing constraints; Resolve failure issues and identify root causes; Locate alternative sources for obsolete items.
- Create and maintain formal electrical engineering documents such as Bills of Material (BOMs), Hardware Design Documents, cable and wire harness drawings, electrical interconnects, Engineering Change Notifications / Engineering Deviation Notices (ECN / EDN), revision control, release documentation and design document packages; Perform project Design Reviews and maintain Engineering Lab notebooks.
- Provide engineering support to existing products, respond to outside vendor and procurement team questions, collaborate with Product Ownership team and other staff to identify and recommend product enhancements and improvements; Investigate product issues reported by internal stakeholders, evaluate problems, and recommend solutions in conjunction with other Senior engineers.
- Evaluate new materials and electrical components, design tools / processes, and manufacturing techniques for applicability and utility to electrical design projects; Evaluate new product requirements in conjunction with senior staff and Product Ownership team; Assist in coordination of new equipment and test fixtures purchase, testing, installation, and training to ensure acceptable processing, performance, cost, sustainability, or availability.
- Manage and perform prototype material procurement processes, including quoting, ordering, and receipt inspection of materials.
- Manage the electrical aspects of product design to ensure that Industry Standards and Certifications, including CE and UL, are achieved; Coordinate with outside testing labs to test, verify, and document for compliance; Prepare Certificates and maintain all documents required for compliance.
- Drive the HunterLab Quality Management System to conform to customer, internal, ISO 9001, and regulatory/legal requirements.
- Communicate operating characteristics or performance experience to other engineers or designers for training or new product development purposes.
- Maintain safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Serve as electrical engineering liaison to other HunterLab departments and the engineering team; Provide electronics support for optical development.
- Participate and share knowledge during Department meetings.
- Provide effective training to Electrical Engineer I, new and/or other department Associates.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (EE) with 8+ years of experience in electrical engineering, computer science, physics, or other related discipline,
- or a Master’s degree in Physics or Engineering with 4+ years of experience
- or Ph.D. in Physics or Engineering with 2+ years of experience in electrical engineering;
- 5+ years of experience as a HunterLab Electrical Engineer I or combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in electro-optical design with analog and digital electronics, including light emission and detection.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience using a software electronic simulation platform.
- Experience using the Altium design suite for PCBA design is strongly preferred.
- Experience designing with FPGAs, CPLDs, and programming in HDL is strongly preferred.
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) preferred.
What makes HunterLab a great place to work?
At HunterLab, you will become an integral and respected part of the team. Our employees are known as “Associates” because we are all stakeholders in HunterLab’s continued success. HunterLab is 100% employee owned! This is clearly conveyed through our excellent benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, flexible spending account, EAP, vacation leave, sick leave, paid holidays, 401(k) including company match, education/tuition assistance, life insurance, disability insurance, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) and company profit sharing. Our Associates are offered long-term growth and opportunity and are proud to be on our team. With over 60 years of experience in our industry, you will become part of an outstanding group of experts in our industry. We’re also in walking distance to the Metro Silver Line!
HUNTERLAB IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law. HunterLab participates in E-Verify.